Can I get financial aid to study abroad?

Yes! Students studying abroad can receive financial aid to help pay for school.

The process of applying for financial aid to attend college in the United States is the same for students who wish to study abroad – they have to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).

What international schools accept federal financial aid?

Unfortunately, not all international colleges accept federal financial aid. In order for students to receive financial aid to pay for school abroad, their school abroad must participate in the Federal Student Loan Program.

The list of schools is limited and updated quarterly, but you can view the most updated list of international schools that participate in the Federal Student Loan Program here.

When making the decision to study abroad, it’s important to reach out to your school’s financial aid office for guidance.

Some international schools require that students complete entrance counseling for first-year students borrowing federal funds.

What is Entrance  Counseling?

It’s a quick counseling session to let you know how loans work and ensure you understand what you’re signing up for when you take out student loans. If you’ve never taken out a student loan before, you will likely be asked to do entrance counseling before signing your financial aid paperwork.

However, these requirements vary when you decide to study abroad. Your best bet is to contact the school you’re attending and find out what their requirements are. 

International Schools and Financial Aid

When it comes to studying abroad, there are even more expenses you need to consider—travel, long-distance flights, new phone plans, etc. Make sure to speak with your school to determine what financial aid will cover and what it won’t. It’s better to go into the school year aware of what you need to pay for than to be surprised by it later.

Good luck!