Can U.S. citizens get financial aid to study in Canada?

Yes, U.S. citizens can get financial aid to study in Canada!

United States citizens can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and be eligible for financial aid to study in Canada. While the number of schools in Canada who participate in the federal student aid program is limited, they do exist.

If you’re planning on continuing your education in  Canada, there are some simple steps you need to be aware of to get the financial aid you need. Keep reading to learn more. 

How to apply for financial aid to study in Canada

The process of applying for federal student aid to study in Canada is the same for students who wish to attend school in the United States. All students are required to file the FASFA®. On the application, students can choose which schools they would like their information shared with. 

First, you should call your school in Canada and make sure they participate in the federal student aid program. Then, if they are, make sure to add your school to the FAFSA®.

The FAFSA® application will determine if a student is eligible for federal loans, federal grants, and even some institutional scholarships.

After filing FAFSA®, it’s suggested that students apply for scholarships from outside businesses and private organizations. and are great resources for US citizens who wish to study abroad in Canada.

What’s unique about getting financial aid to study in Canada?

Some Canadian schools will require U.S. Citizens to complete entrance counseling for first-year students borrowing federal funds. This counseling could be mandatory before leaving the U.S, so students must reach out to their school’s financial aid office to ensure proper processes are complete.

Otherwise, the process is pretty similar to those that are applying to schools here in the U.S. If you have any questions or concerns as you fill out your FAFSA® application, reach out to the team at Frank —