What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool, also known as the IRS DRT, allows students and parents to pull information directly from their federal income taxes and electronically transfers it to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).
While this tool helps get your information transferred to your FAFSA®, you should be aware that you can’t change it once it’s in. If you know you need to adjust tax information, it’s better to enter it manually than use the DRT tool.
Who can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for all parents and students using the online application who have filed their federal income taxes.
How to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
You will find the IRS DRT when logged into the FAFSA® at fafsa.gov. Here’s how to use it:
- In the “finances” section of the online form, a “Link to the IRS” will be available for all eligible students.
- After clicking the button, use your FSA ID to login before being transferred to the IRS to retrieve the tax information.
- To access your tax information, enter all personal information exactly as it appears on tax forms.
- Once successfully logged in, check the box labeled, “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA® form” then click the “Transfer Now” button.
- Once successfully transferred, the words “Transferred from the IRS” will appear on the screen.
For security purposes, tax information will not be visible on the FAFSA® form, the IRS website, or fafsa.gov.
The DRT tool is available through the fafsa®.gov website. It currently can’t be used if you’re filing your FAFSA® with Frank. However, the knowledge support team at Frank can help you input your tax information if you need it. Email us at email@example.com.