Let’s start with the basics. What’s FAFSA® and why is it important?
FAFSA®, also known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the first step in receiving financial aid for college. This application determines eligibility for federal student loans, federal grants, Indiana state grants, and even some scholarships.
How do you file FAFSA® in Indiana?
The good news is, FAFSA® is filed the exact same way in Indiana as it is everywhere else. The first step is gathering all of your documents. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Your social security number as well as your parents’ number if you’re a dependent student
- IRS Transcripts from 2-years prior. For example, if you’re filing the 2021-22 application, you’ll need transcripts from 2019.
- Your Indiana (or out of state) driver’s license number (if you don’t have a license, don’t worry about this step)
- Your Alien Registration Number if you’re not a US citizen
- Bank statements and records of investments if applicable
- Records of untaxed income if applicable
- The university or college code of the school you’ll be attending in Indiana (or elsewhere)
You’ll also need to create an FSA ID so you can safely and securely sign the application once you’ve finished.
Now, it’s time to start the FAFSA® application
You can access the application by clicking here. Follow the step-by-step instructions, and as long as you have all of your documents handy, you should be able to complete it in as little as 5-minutes.
Important Indiana FAFSA® deadlines
The federal FAFSA® deadline is the same across the US. However, it’s important to note that financial aid is awarded on a first-come-first-served basis – so, you should file your application as soon as possible.
The Indiana FAFSA® state deadline is April 19th. That means, in order to receive state financial aid in Indiana, you’ll need to have your application filed early.
The federal FAFSA® deadline is June 30th of the academic year in which you plan to attend school.
What if you need help filing your FAFSA® in Indiana?
If you need help with your FAFSA®, or if you have questions about financial aid, we’re here for you! You can reach the FRANK Team via email at email@example.com or you can text us at (347) 690-7886.
Get Access to Our Financial Aid Tools
- Claim your aid by filing FAFSA® with us in less than 7 minutes
- Get personalized help from our experts on your financial aid problems
- Gain weekly access to scholarships you need for college