Wanting to file your FAFSA® in Iowa? Here’s how!
First, let’s start with the basics. What is FAFSA®?
FAFSA®, also known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a requirement for college-bound students interested in receiving financial aid. This application will determine a student’s financial need, which will factor into how much financial aid is awarded — federal grants, Iowa state grants, federal loans, and even some scholarships.
Luckily, filing is the same in Iowa as it is across the country. Let’s take a look at the process…
How to file your FAFSA® in Iowa
Arguably, the most frustrating part of filing FAFSA® is figuring out what paperwork you need. So, the first step is gathering all the important documents you’ll need. Here’s a list of what you need to gather now:
- Your Iowa (or out of state) driver’s license number. If you don’t have your driver’s license, don’t worry about this step.
- Your social security number as well as your parent’s social security number (if you’re an independent student, you’ll only need your own).
- IRS Transcripts from 2-years prior. For example, if you’re filing the 2021-22 application, you’ll need transcripts from 2019.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you’re not a US citizen
- Bank statements and records of investments if applicable
- Records of untaxed income if applicable
- The university or college code of the school you’ll be attending in Iowa (or elsewhere)
Lastly, you’re going to need to create an FSA ID. An FSA ID will be required to sign your application safely and securely.
Now that you’ve gathered all your documents, it’s time to start the FAFSA® application
This is the easy part! You can start the application by clicking here. Then, all you have to do is follow the step-by-step instructions.
Important Iowa FAFSA® deadlines
The federal FAFSA® deadline is the same for all students in the US. However, if you’re planning on attending an Iowa college or university, you’ll need to file your application a little earlier.
The federal FAFSA® deadline is June 30th of the academic year you’re planning on attending school.
The priority deadline for Iowa is December 1st. This means that you’re going to need to file FAFSA® within two months of the application opening.
Whether or not you decide to attend an Iowa state school, it’s important to know that financial aid is awarded on a first-come-first-served basis – so the sooner you file the better!
If you have questions or need help with your FAFSA®, we have a team of experts here to help. You can reach us via email at email@example.com or you can text us at (347) 690-8776.