Need to file your FAFSA® in Utah? Here’s how!
Let’s start with the basics. What is FAFSA®, and why is it so important??
FAFSA®, also known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the key to receiving college financial aid. This application determines student eligibility for federal grants, Iowa state grants, federal loans, work-study programs, and is even a requirement for most scholarships.
Luckily, you file FAFSA® the same way regardless of where you live.
How to file your FAFSA® is Utah
In order to file your FAFSA®, you need some paperwork and government documents. Here’s a list of everything to gather.
- Your Utah (or out of state) driver’s license number. If you don’t have your driver’s license, don’t worry about this step.
- Your social security number and your parent’s social security number (if you’re an independent student, you’ll only need your own).
- IRS Transcripts from 2-years prior. For example, if you’re filing the 2021-22 application, you’ll need transcripts from 2019.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you’re not a US citizen
- Bank statements and records of investments if applicable
- Records of untaxed income if applicable
- The university or college code of the school you’ll be attending in Utah (or elsewhere)
You (and your parents, if you’re a dependent student) are going to need to create an FSA ID. Without an FSA ID, you will not be able to submit your application.
Now, you’re ready to start the application!
Don’t worry, now that you have all your documents — this part is a breeze! All you have to do is is start your application and file the step-by-step instructions. Most students who file with FRANK finish in under 7-minutes!
Important Utah FAFSA® deadlines
Mark your calendars, June 30th is the last day you can file your FAFSA®! While Utah doesn’t have a separate state deadline, it’s important to know that financial aid is first-come-first-served – once the aid is disbursed, it’s gone! They don’t keep reserves for late filers.
If you have questions about financial aid or need help filing your FAFSA®, the FRANK Team is here to help! You can email us at email@example.com or text us at (347) 690-7886.