How to Change Majors in Community College

Here’s the good news — you don’t have to worry about changing majors in community college. 

Most students attending community college plan to transfer to a four-year college or simply stop their education at an AA degree. If you’re planning to transfer, your primary focus while you attend should be getting your general education classes out of the way. 

Why is community college helpful?

Community college allows you to take classes before declaring a major and discovering what you really like to do. If you take classes and find that it doesn’t interest you, you don’t have to go through the trouble of changing anything. 

Consider this a time to explore your interests and determine a major. You should have a major nailed down by the time you transfer. By that time, you’ll be asked to declare a major so that you can enroll in classes specific to it. 

However, you should use your two years at community college as a time of exploration. 

When do I take classes for my major?

You’ll likely begin taking classes towards your major once you transfer to a four-year college. At that point, you’ll declare a major and start garnering credits towards graduation.

Unless you are getting an AA degree specific to a certain industry, like nursing or electrician, you won’t need to take major-specific classes at community college. 

What if I’m getting an AA degree for a certain subject?

If you’re enrolled in an AA program for a certain subject and want to change it, you need to speak with your academic advisor. They’ll be able to tell you what credits will transfer to another major and what your options are. 

Don’t worry about declaring a major in community college. Instead, focus on getting your general education classes out of the way. It will set you up for success and keep you from worrying about switching majors during that time.