Can I be taking classes at community college while enrolled in university?

Surprisingly, taking classes at community college while enrolled in university is more common than people think. And there’s a reason for it — it actually saves you money.

Supplemental Community College Classes

When you take classes at a community college while enrolled at a four-year university, you’re what schools consider “Dual-enrolled.” Basically, you’re attending two colleges at once. 

This provides big cost savings when one of those colleges is an in-state-based community college. Why? Because community colleges are generally less expensive, and depending on the state you’re in, they could even be free. 

What you need to know

Dual-enrollment saves money but it’s not necessarily easy to do. You have to make sure that your college credits transfer to what’s considered your “main college,” otherwise known as the school you’re getting your degree from. 

While there are online resources to help you with this, your best bet is to communicate with the academic advisors at both your colleges to make sure your credits transfer and you stay on track to graduate. 

We talk more about dual-enrollment in this post

Articulation Agreements

If you’re lucky enough to be attending a four-year college that has an articulation agreement with the local community college, that makes your process a whole lot easier. 

Articulation agreements ensure that your credits will transfer over and count towards your degree. 

It basically means your two schools are working together to keep you on track and make sure you don’t lose out on your education. You can read more about how articulation agreements work here


Not all schools have theses, and it’s especially difficult if you happen to be attending a community college outside of the geographical area of your main college. So, if you’re hoping to attend community college while at a four-year school, ask whether there is an articulation agreement or not. 

Good luck with your dual-enrollment!