Can you transfer credits from a completed degree?

The job market can be fickle, and with technology ever-changing, some must continue their education beyond a bachelor’s degree. But it doesn’t always mean pursuing an MBA. In fact, more and more adults are going back to school to earn a second bachelor’s degree or even an associate’s degree. 

Why would you decide to pursue another bachelor’s or associate’s degree over an MBA? 

It’s simple. Many of us decide to change career paths, and a higher education degree isn’t always necessary. 

Can you transfer credits from a completed degree?

If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s or associate’s degree and are going back to college to earn another, regular college credit transfer rules should apply for prerequisite classes. 

However, you will need to speak with an academic advisor and ask about articulation agreements if you plan to attend a new college. 

What’s an articulation agreement?

An articulation agreement is basically a contract between colleges agreeing to accept transfer credits. These agreements outline which specific credits they accept and for what major. 

When deciding to go back to school, an academic advisor is going to be your greatest resource. They’ll be able to help you outline a plan for success so you can get your degree as quickly and easily as possible.

Prepare to meet with an advisor

Especially if you’ve already completed your education, you’ll want to meet with your advisor. They can look at your education history and give you a roadmap towards meeting your new goals. 

Don’t forget to ask them which credits you can transfer over and which ones you can’t!

While you may no longer be eligible to receive grants, it’s still important to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). By filing FAFSA®, you may be eligible to receive federal loans, scholarships, and participate in work-study programs. 

Still have questions? The FRANK Team is here to help! You can text us at (347) 690-7886 or email us at