How to transfer courses from one college to another

Don’t fret! Transferring courses from one college to another is not a complicated process – and we’ve got you covered.

Whether you’re transferring from community college or university, the first step should be looking into your current school’s articulation agreement (also known as a transfer agreement). You can review this information with an Academic Advisor who will also help review your transcript and determine what courses will transfer from your current school to the next.

What’s a transfer agreement?

Transfer agreements are agreements between two or more institutions that clearly outline everything students need to know about transferring schools.

The intent behind these agreements is to streamline the transfer process and make it transparent for students, so they know ahead of time what will be accepted at their next school.

What if my new school doesn’t have a transfer agreement with my current school?

For students transferring to schools outside of the transfer agreement, your best option is to work with an Academic Advisor and contact your intended school of transfer. Keep in mind you may need to retake several classes to meet graduation requirements.

If possible, set up an appointment with an academic advisor at your school of transfer. This might help give you more insight into requirements once you officially become a student at that school.

Talking with an academic advisor about transferring courses from one college to another.

When meeting with an academic advisor, be sure to bring a copy of your current transcripts. This will help them identify which courses will transfer and which will not.

Once you find out which courses will transfer, you can begin your formal transfer process. This will include sharing your high school transcripts, college transcripts, admissions documents, letters of recommendation, and any other information they might request.

Make sure you submit and that the school receives everything on time to meet registration deadlines.

As always, be sure to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and submit any transfer paperwork related to financial aid, so you don’t run into payment issues. This will ensure that you stay on track with your graduation and don’t encounter any delays in your education.