What colleges accept transfer credits?

We all know that college is expensive. A great way to cut costs is to take pre-requisite classes at community college and later transfer to a university.

But, how do you know what colleges accept transfer credits? 

Well, the good news is that most universities will accept transfer credits from an accredited community college. However, no college is required to accept transfer credits, so it’s always important to speak with the colleges before enrolling in classes. 

After all, it would be horrible to spend your time and money on classes that you couldn’t use towards your bachelor’s degree. 

What is a transfer credit?

Basically, a transfer credit is a credit earned at one college or university, that can be transferred to another college or university towards earning a degree. 

How do you find out if your college accepts transfer credits?

The first step is reaching out to an academic advisor at your college. They’ll be able to let you know which schools they have articulations agreements with. 

An articulation agreement is a contract between a community college and university agreeing to accept transfer credits from the college. 

After knowing which schools have articulation agreements with your school,  you’ll better understand which credits will be accepted by your new school. Again, your academic advisor will be able to walk you through this process. It sounds scarier than it actually is. 

Remember to ask questions and understand which credits you can take with you ahead of time. Having ample credits means less class time at your new school.

After you and your academic advisor devise a plan, it’s time to charge forward! Make sure you check all your boxes, like filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) to apply for financial aid. 

As always, if you need help or have any questions, we’re here for you! You can email us at support@withfrank.org or text us at (347) 690-7886.