Can I File as a Graduate Student?

Yes, graduate students can file a FAFSA® to receive federal aid, although the aid available to them does differ slightly from the aid offered to undergraduates.

Graduate students are eligible for the Pell Grant, direct unsubsidized loans and the federal work-study program. In addition, those pursuing teaching careers are eligible for the TEACH grant. The key difference for graduate students is that unsubsidized loans begin accruing interest immediately, while the subsidized loans available to undergraduate students do not.

It’s also important to note that the FAFSA® classifies all graduate students as independent, regardless of the student’s financial situation. While some law and medical schools will ask the student to provide parent information, parental finances are no longer factored into the student’s EFC calculation.

You can read more about all the financial assistance options available to graduate students here.