What Tax Returns can I use for FAFSA®?

The FAFSA® requires tax information from the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ forms of the filing student or parent. Students or parents who filed taxes in Puerto Rico or foreign countries will use the equivalent documents.

The tax returns must be from two years prior to the academic year for which the student is applying. For the 2022-2023 FAFSA®, the student or parent will be using their 2020 tax returns.

When filing with FRANK, users can upload pictures or PDF files of the first two pages of their 1040 or 1040A, or the first page of their 1040EZ, directly to their application and let FRANK’s tax experts crunch the numbers for them.

In addition to the requested tax documents, students and parents may be required to pull financial information from their W2 forms, as well as bank and investment statements from any accounts they may own.