Main header


How to Pay for College > What Aid do I Qualify for? > Basic Eligibility Criteria

To receive federal student aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, have a valid Social Security number, and have a high school diploma or GED. Don’t worry if you apply for financial aid prior to graduating high school, since the federal program takes this into account.