Can you still get financial aid if you are on academic probation?

Can You Still get Financial Aid on Academic Probation? 

Yes, you can still get financial aid if you are on academic probation. However, there are strict guidelines outlined by each school to help keep you on track. 

Let’s start by defining what academic probation is…

If your grades start to fall below a ‘C’ average and you’re not making the academic progress your school requires for graduation, you will be placed on academic probation.

This generally means you’ll be required to sign a contract with your school promising to improve your grades and academic performance. 

Good academic standing is based on the following:

  • Grade Point Average (GPA)Students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA as an undergraduate on a 4.0 scale (i.e. at least a C average)
  • Successful accumulation of CreditsIf you are enrolled as a full-time student, you must take at least 12 credits to meet the good academic standing requirements set by the financial aid department

If you don’t improve your academic standing after being placed on academic probation your student enrollment status will be in jeopardy. In fact, most students who don’t meet good academic standing get academically dismissed from their school and will no longer be eligible to receive financial aid. In addition to this requirement, many individual programs may require more rigorous requirements to meet good academic standing. 

Each semester the Department of Education makes sure students are on track towards obtaining a career by conducting a Satisfactory Academic Progress evaluation (SAP). Each school has its own SAP policy for financial aid purposes. 

What if I’m already on academic probation?

If you are already on academic probation try your hardest to meet the good academic standing criteria. Whether that means asking for help, paying more attention in class, or actually going to class.

If you are a recipient of the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award, you will need to contact the registrar’s office at your school. Why? Well, contacting them will determine if your probationary status affects your state funds. This is because TAP has a different grant program.

Where can I get help if I’m having trouble raising my grades?

Each school offers its own resources, so this information may vary but these are the two common methods:

  • Setting up a meeting with your academic advisor: Your advisor will give you a clear overview of the many ways you can solve this problem.
  • Visiting the learning center: Most schools, if not all, offer academic assistance programs where students can seek tutoring for writing, math, science, and most other subjects.

If this is your first time on academic probation, you will still be able to receive financial aid. On the other hand, if you have been on academic probation before, you could not only lose your financial aid but you could also get kicked out of school (suspended).

How do I know if I’m losing my financial aid?

To find out if you’re losing financial aid because you’re on academic probation, contact your school’s financial aid office. If you want a clear response from them, we suggest you give them all the logistics in terms of your grades.

I lost my financial aid…

Your school will inform you of the correct steps to take after you lose your financial aid due to being on academic probation. However, if you want more guidance on what to do after losing financial aid, click here. 

Regaining eligibility 

You need to make Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue to receive federal student aid. We suggest you talk to your school about possibly appealing their decision that prompted you to become ineligible.

To know the specific instructions on how to regain eligibility get in contact with your school’s registrar office, financial aid office, and/or your academic advisor.