If Your Financial Aid is Suspended Can You go to Another School?

Just because you’ve secured financial aid doesn’t mean you get to keep those privileges forever. If you fall behind at school, there is always the chance of a financial aid suspension. Obviously, that could leave you in a pretty bad financial situation if you want to continue your education. 
If your FAFSA® aid is suspended due to unsatisfactory academic progress, you might wonder if changing schools is a possible solution. The quick answer is “no” but it’s a little more complicated than that.

Will my financial aid suspension be lifted if I switch schools?

If you receive your student financial aid from your current college, you probably won’t be able to get your aid back unless you improve your academic progress. The good news is you might be able to apply for a new student financial aid package at your new college. Keep in mind that the school will look closely at your student record from your previous college to determine your eligibility for aid. If your financial aid was suspended for a default on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), this could affect your new bid.
If the aid was sourced federally, however, you might be able to remove the suspension once you’re settled in at your new school and increase your SAP for eligibility. Some forms, such as state or private aid, you can keep regardless of the college you attend (though you might still have to maintain SAP, keep your existing major, or adhere to other conditions).

Consider an Aid Appeal

Financial aid suspension isn’t the end of the world, especially if you plan to switch schools. Keep calm, contact your aid institution, and see what you can work out. If it comes down to it, you can always try to file an aid appeal to plead your case.