International students studying in the U.S. can apply for AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, the Ashley Soulé Conroy Study Abroad Scholarship, CIEE Merit Scholarships, and other awards for qualifying semester and summer programs. Details about these and other scholarships for international students are outlined below.
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS provides over $800,000 in scholarships every year for study abroad programs. Apply for generation study abroad scholarships, diversity scholarships, need-based scholarships, and additional AIFS scholarships and grants on the AIFS website.
Awards range from $500 to $5,000, and options like the Russel and Deborah Taylor Foundation Scholarship cover 50 percent of a program’s fees. Application deadlines, requirements, and criteria vary for each award.
Ashley Soulé Conroy Study Abroad Scholarship
Up to three students receive the Ashley Soulé Conroy Study Abroad Scholarship every term. This $4,000 award goes to U.S. students enrolling in a study abroad program. The deadline for the spring is October 1, and the deadline for fall is June 1. Students must also meet the following criteria:
- Must have completed 30 hours of their undergraduate program.
- Be enrolled in a study abroad program that’s at least two weeks long.
- Attend a fall or spring program.
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Markham-Colegrave International Scholarship
The Markham-Colegrave International Scholarship is available for international students who want to complete a horticultural work placement in the United States or Canada. Students of any accredited school in the United States or Canada can receive the award.
One winner receives a $4,500 scholarship for a summer program. Apply for this scholarship from September through January.
CIEE Merit Scholarships
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) offers merit-based scholarships including the following:
- McDermott Health Sciences, Nursing, and Public Health Merit Scholarship: Students attending qualifying summer, semester, or year-long community and public health programs can receive a $2,500 scholarship for a semester or $750 for a summer program.
- Ritzmann Tropical and Marine Ecology Scholarships: This award goes to students who will complete CIEE’s Sustainability and the Environment or Tropical Ecology and Conservation programs. The organization provides $2,500 for semester studies and $750 for summer programs.
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarship: This scholarship awards $2,500 for a semester or $750 for a summer program. The recipient must be enrolled in a program that offers research opportunities.
CIEE scholarships are awarded based on academic standing. Applicants must also submit an essay that explains how the program will affect them as a student and impact their career plans.
In addition to these scholarships, many individual institutions offer their own awards for international students. Check with the financial aid department of the school you’re attending for details on these opportunities, and apply for the scholarships listed above to help cover the cost of education for your upcoming semester.