Where can I find information on College Housing Grants

The cost of attending college is not only limited to tuition. Many students are interested in getting help with College Housing Grants. 

Luckily, some institutions and organizations offer scholarships, grants, and student loans that recognize the cost of housing as a serious expense.

This means that financial aid money can generally be used to help cover your living expenses.

Department of Education Grants that can be used for housing

The U.S. Department of Education has three primary grants students can apply to help pay for housing expenses:

The Federal Supplement Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is reserved for students who demonstrate financial need. The FSEOG  typically ranges from $100-$4000. In addition to demonstrating financial need, students must be currently enrolled in school or accepted for future enrollment to qualify.

The FSEOG can be used to pay for books, tuition, and even housing.

Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) is also a requirement for eligibility.

Pell Grant

The current Pell Grant maximum is $6,895 for the 2022-2023 academic year. The Pell Grant is awarded to students showing financial need, Expected Family Contribution (EFC), cost of attendance, and full-time vs. part-time student status. In addition to paying for tuition, students can also use the Pell Grant to pay for housing.

Students also need to complete a FAFSA® for Pell Grant eligibility.


For schools that participate in the TEACH Grant Program, students can receive up to $4,000, which can be used to pay for housing and other academic costs. This program requires students enrolled in a participating school to agree to Teach in high-need fields after they graduate for at least four years. Contact your school directly to find out if they participate in this program.

FAFSA® filing is also a requirement for Grant Eligibility.

While these are the three most common federal grants utilized for housing assistance, there are other grants offered at the state and school levels. 

The first step in your search for housing grants should be to file your FAFSA® as that will determine your eligibility. After FAFSA® has been filed, you should reach out to your school’s financial aid office to see if they offer any additional grants for housing.

For helping filing FAFSA® or if you have any financial aid questions, reach out to our financial aid experts! They can be reached via email at support@withfrank.org or via text at (347) 690-7886.