Wisconsin Financial Aid: Grants & Scholarships

First, File Your FAFSA®

Wisconsin financial aid is available to various students who need additional grants and scholarships for their college education. However, it’s important to remember that there are no Higher Education Aid Boards in Wisconsin that cover the entire cost of your education. 

To be eligible to apply for Wisconsin financial aid, you’ll first need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA®. This application determines student eligibility for federal loans, grants like the Pell grant, work-study programs, and even some scholarships. 

Eligibility for Wisconsin Financial Aid

There are a few requirements to be eligible for the state of Wisconsin financial aid options. For eligibility, students must:

  1. Be a resident of the state of Wisconsin
  2. Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
  3. Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program
  4. Be attending a non-profit college or university based in Wisconsin
    1. University of Wisconsin System
    2. Wisconsin Technical College System
    3. Independent Colleges and Universities
    4. Tribal Colleges 

College Financial Aid Wisconsin

Here are some additional programs that the state of Wisconsin financial aid services provide. 

Tuition Reciprocity Agreements

The state of Wisconsin provides reduced out-of-state tuition for certain colleges and universities that it has agreements with. To find out more about these agreements, please contact your school directly or the state of Wisconsin. 

Tuition Capitation Contracts

If you are a graduate student, there are limited opportunities to get fixed tuition subsidies if you are a resident of Wisconsin. You must be enrolled in a graduate-level program at a professional school. Reach out to your school’s financial aid office for more information.